Electra Meccanica, electrameccanica.com, is an electric vehicle company based in British Columbia, Canada developing unique and exciting vehicles for the 21st century. We have partnered with Intermeccanica, a company with 50+ years of automotive manufacturing excellence to produce a commuter car that is environmentally friendly, fun to drive, and accessible to the consumer. This is a fantastic opportunity to join the electric vehicle industry.
We are seeking a Battery engineer to join our lean and agile team in our New Westminster, BC offices. This role reports to the Head of Engineering.
You must have a genuine passion for engineering the best electric vehicles in the world. You must want to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial company. We are building real products. This must excite you. You must be a builder. At Electra Meccanica superior work is encouraged, noticed and rewarded and individuals carry significant responsibility.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Use a variety of cell and battery pack models, fleet data, and laboratory test data to create state-of-the-art feedback control and estimation algorithms for high voltage battery packs.
- Work on projects from cell capacity, impedance, energy, and degradation estimation to diagnostics of sensors, cells and battery pack components.
- Work cross-functionally with within the company, battery safety organizations and vendors.
- Design and execute DOEs that are highly impactful and resource-efficient.
- Contribute to maintaining and improving the cell life model through automated testing, new features development, and integration with systems model.
- Work with other engineers and scientists to understand trends in knowledge gaps and push forward relevant projects.
- Develop and fabricate functional prototypes and test methods to vet out new concepts.
- Collaborate closely with suppliers to develop parts.
- Complete design cycles from concepts to fully validated production designs.
- 8+ years of experience with automotive battery design.
- MS/PhD in mechanical, electrical, aerospace, or materials engineering an asset.
- Experience with modeling of lithium ion cells.
- Pack temperature management.
- Simulating dynamic models of electrical systems.
- Capable of analyzing algorithm performance in MATLAB/Simulink.
- Strong communication and preference for working in teams.
- Basic experience, understanding, and intuition for the electrochemical physics of lithium ion cells.
- Experience in specifying or executing tests on cells in a laboratory environment.
- Understanding of diagnostic techniques for cells and battery pack components.
- As many of our vendors are overseas fluency in Mandarin would be an asset.
While we sincerely appreciate all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please answer the following questions in your application:
- Are you legally allowed to work in Canada?
- Are you ok with travel within North America and China when required for business needs?
- What are your salary expectations for this role?
- Why do you want to join Meccanica?
Please submit your cover letter, resume and portfolio to: