Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Electra Meccanica, electrameccanica.com, is an electric vehicle company based in British Columbia Canada, developing unique and exciting vehicles for the 21st century. We have partnered with Intermeccanica, a company with 50+ years of automotive manufacturing excellence to produce a commuter car that is environmentally friendly, fun to drive, and accessible to the consumer. This is a fantastic opportunity to join the electric vehicle industry.
We are seeking a senior mechanical design engineer to join our lean and agile team. This role reports to the Head of Engineering and will be based out of our New Westminster, BC offices. The engineer will use expertise to design and deliver systems, not just a group of components.
You must have a genuine passion for engineering the best electric vehicles in the world. You must want to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial company. We are building real products. This must excite you. You must be a builder. At Electra Meccanica superior work is encouraged, noticed and rewarded and individuals carry significant responsibility.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work on initial concept, to design, development and release of vehicle component and system targets based on function, cost, weight and investment.
- Refining 3 wheeled vehicle dynamics, including cost effective relevant simulations.
- Establish system architecture and functional feasibility.
- Lead integration with cross functional teams collaborating with Manufacturing Engineering and Procurement groups to ensure manufacturing and assembly feasibility and serviceability.
- Design automotive component parts in NX 11.0 and complex 3D surface models for structural components and hardware.
- Complete and release components, sub-system and detail designs, using a mix of in-house design and supplier engineering where required.
- Collaborate with key suppliers and support overall vehicle development milestones and prototype/production build events.
- Ensure product conforms to all market regulations governing assigned systems.
- Other duties as required.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- 8+ plus years of experience in automotive vehicle design, from concept through release and launch for production.
- Experience designing and modeling 3 wheeled vehicle suspension.
- Technical expertise with current manufacturing technologies and feasibility execution to achieve systems requirements, craftsmanship and performance targets.
- Working knowledge of Design for Manufacturing, including familiarity with GD&T and dimensional engineering.
- Proficiency with NX 11.0, Finite Element Analysis tools and other simulation tools like Matlab or Simulink.
- Ideally a minimum of 1 full automotive development life cycle, through design, development, release and launch.
- Willing to pitch in and get your hands dirty.
- As many of our vendors are overseas the ability to travel and fluency in Mandarin would be an asset.
While we sincerely appreciate all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please answer the following questions in your application:
- Are you legally allowed to work in Canada?
- Are you ok with travel within North America and China when required for business needs?
- What are your salary expectations for this role?
- Why do you want to join Meccanica?
Please submit your cover letter, resume and portfolio to: